Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Short People

So, I'm considered "short" in my family. Even my "little" sister Amy is taller then me at 5'8 and a bit......but she's a shrimp next to our Barfield and Horne cousins. Our daughter Nikki used to laugh at that comment since she, little Greek princess that she is, tops barely 5'1 inches in height and I'm 5'6 - but its true and she saw it for that truth this weekend.

Years and years ago, a guy I dated in college asked me if I always dated short guys. You see he was 6'2 and we were discussing previous relationships while out on a date....and I had to stop and think for a minute. And I rather quickly realized that I had indeed dated young men who mostly stood under 6 feet. Being me, I then had to analyse it to death.

Why did I seem to gravitate to men who didn't hit that 6 foot mark? Could it be that my dad and both brothers towered over me? Did it have anything to do with trips to South Carolina where I was a shrimp next to my cousins? Was it the beginning of the minor claustrophobia I deal with? I rather quickly came up with a very definitive answer......you betcha...!

Now, don't get me wrong.... I love my Dad and my brother's and my cousins....but they do tower over me. And when we are all in a room together, I sometimes feel the need to get out the door...quickly.

I never did it (date shorter men) deliberately...I mean I didn't say "that guy's too tall and that one's too short but that one is just right"....but subconsciously I did seem to be attracted to men who "fit" my height and didn't tower over me. And in the end, the guy I chose to spend the last 28 years with is......5'8 and a bit.

David is the perfect height for me...when we walk down a street and his arm is around my shoulders I fit just right under that arm; when we sit on a couch together to watch a movie, we just mesh. We both take up exactly the right amount of space to feel that we are a good match (among other important things that a long term relationship requires, don't you know!).

So, for those curious among you wondering just how a childhood spent around those who tower over one might evolve into an attraction for men under 6 feet tall....here's a few photos of me and my cousin's this past weekend.........I took advantage of my daughter's presence to have someone else take photos for once.....just so I'd have a record of my standing with my cousins....

This is my cousin Kathy....



Kathy is one of five children and the only girl..........this is her brother Ricky....



And her brother, Edwin..........



And her brother, Donny Mac (McLeod)....



And her brother, Butch.....



And here's the Mother of this bunch....Daddy Mac's sister Kitty Rose McLeod Barfield...



And these are our Horne Cousins........

First there's Michael....



And then there is Brach....



You can't tell in this next photo that even Aunt Jessie, Daddy Mac's sister and Brach and Michael's mom, is a tall woman because she's sitting down...but even Aunt Jessie towers over me...



Now, our son Dallas has inherited the height from my Dad's side of the family.....here's a photo from his senior recital this past April with David and I....I'm in heels....Dallas is just shy of 6'2.


In fact his pediatrician once asked me if he and Nikki had the same Dad....I think you can tell by the next photo that they do, those Greek genes shine through in both of them.....oh, and our little Nikki is wearing three inch heels in this photo!


As for Hunter, that remains to be seen...although he's been in the 95 %-tile of height since he was born...he may just end up being as tall as his cousins! We'll see......maybe I'll need a bigger house to avoid that claustrophobia~

Signing off this time as.....Lori, the short McLeod!

P.S.....for those who remember that we never, ever have a trip or an event without some drama....here's the little bit of drama for this trip.....Nikki accidentally locked the keys to the Trailblazer inside it .....Butch our Policeman Cousin graciously rode to the rescue without even one smart comment....! Thanks Butch!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment.....!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin